Friday, January 9, 2009

Snow Labyrinth

When I am in need of contemplative prayer time, I love to hike out to the labyrinth which is less than a mile west of the village in the spot where copper miners had their baseball field in decades past. Surrounded by huge, snowy mountains, and just yards away from Railroad Creek, thoughts and prayers can drift upward as I walk the beautiful path that leads to the center of the circular labyrinth. It is particularly beautiful in the winter, as snow "walls" build up around the path so that when you walk, your knees are at snow-level. Somehow I guess this is a good posture for prayer -- walking meditatively, letting the path lead me in, and then to the center, and back out again. Lately there have been many questions and ponderings that I've needed to bring to the Creator of all that surrounds me in this wilderness place, and the snow labyrinth has provided a way to pray them out as I walk.

No comments: